Friday, February 1, 2008

The main media I have consumed this week has been music. I have recently become very aware of what I choose to listen to, while it may seem positive to me at first; upon analyzing it further this is not always the case. It may not be the actual lyrics used by women in music that is the problem, as these can often be empowering, but the package in which this message is delivered. By this I am referring particularly to the appearance of the female artists. One example of this, which surprised me when it was first released was the Pussy Cat Doll’s song I Don’t Need A Man. I heard this song on their album and really liked it, and I felt that it was empowering to women. Below are some lyrics from the song;


I see you looking at me
Like I got some things for you
And the way that you stare
Don't you dare
'Cause I'm not about to
Just give it all up to you
'Cause there are some things I won't do
And I'm not afraid to tell you
I don't ever want to leave you confused

The more you try
The less I by it
And I don't have to think it through
You know if I'm into you

I dont need a man to make it happen
I get off being free
I don't need a man to make me feel good
I get off doing my thing

I don't need a ring around my finger
To make me feel complete
So let me break it down
I can get off when you ain't around
Oh!

In some ways these lyrics appear to be positive for women, as they are asserting their independence in this rejection on men. However when I saw the video I was not sure anymore. The video just seems like a complete contradiction, it is highly sexualized, complete with provocative clothing, gestures and dancing. Also it is reaped in sexual innuendo that I had previously not realized. To me this is an example of the way in which women in music can have a negative impact on wider society. The Pussy Cat Dolls have a large fan following comprised mainly of teenage girls. While the message appears to be empowering the video perpetuates unattainable standards of beauty which for me serve to negate any positive message that may have been present.

It seems that female artists have to meet certain standards of the mainstream or else they will not be successful. Basically I feel they have to sell out to some degree. If you look at female artists it is often not their lyrics or talent that they are celebrated for, but for particular physical attributes. For example Beyonce, JLO and Kyle Minogue are among some who have been widely recognized for their physical assets; their butt’s. This brings them great attention, and becomes a platform for them to showcase their talent or lack of it in some cases. I feel that Beyonce is extremely talented as an artist, and I find much of her music to be empowering. However it frustrates me that it always has to be packaged in a way that seeks to emphasize her physical appearance over her talent. I do not feel that provocative outfits and other things are necessary because the music should speak for itself. However unfortunately in the mainstream music industry talent alone, especially for women is not enough. Thus it seems that women are often made to degrade themselves to achieve success.

No comments: